Contact Us

James Charles Estate Agents
30 The Green
Kings Norton
B38 8SD

Tel: 0121 433 3800


Property Terms Made Simple!

Chain: All parties involved in a transaction

Completion Date: The date when the transaction (either the sale or purchase of a property) is completed, i.e. the date you officially become the owner.

Completion Statement: A statement from the solicitor detailing all financial transactions, including all associated costs.

Conditions of Sale: The terms by which the buyer and seller agree to sell/buy the property. The Law Society sets standard conditions for this process and the lawyers set out special conditions.

Contract: The legally binding agreement specifying details of the house sale or house purchase. This contract legally commits both the buyer and the seller to the transaction. The house seller's Conveyancing lawyer draws up two copies of the same contract and each party signs their own copy. When both parties are ready to legally commit to the transaction, the two contracts are exchanged.

Conveyancer: The property lawyer who manages all of the matters arising from the sale of a house or the purchase of a house. This can be a solicitor or a licensed Conveyancer.

Conveyance or Transfer: The legally binding document that transfers the rights, burdens and the benefit of the land.

Council for Licensed Conveyancers: A regulatory body for conveyancing with whom all conveyancers should be registered.

Deeds: Legal title document which provides historical information about the property.

Deposit: This is the amount paid to exchange contracts which is only refundable in exceptional circumstances. Most contracts provide for 10% of the purchase/sale price but can often be negotiated to a lower level.

Disbursements: Out-of-pocket expenses paid by the solicitor/licensed Conveyancer on the buyer's behalf, such as stamp duty, land registry charges and search fees.

Easement: A right given to the house owner over an adjoining property (e.g. right of way).

Exchange of Contract: The point that both parties become committed to the transaction.

Fixtures and Fittings: A list of the items at the property, which are either included or excluded from the agreed price.

Freehold: One of the two current tenures of land recognised by English law. This recognises the whole of the land not just a building.

FSA: The Financial Services Authority (FSA) is an independent government body concerned with consumer protection in the financial services market.

Gazumping: When the house seller accepts a higher price offer from another house buyer after the initial offer has been accepted.

Gazundering: When the house buyer lowers his offer after the sale has been agreed.

HIPS: A HIP is simply a set of documents that provides the buyer with key information on the property and must be provided by the seller or the seller's agent. From 6th April 2009 it will be a legal requirement for a HIP to be available before a property can be placed onto the market for sale.

Indemnity Insurance: An insurance taken out by conveyancing firms to cover losses to clients arising from errors or fraud in dealing with their matters.

Land Registry Fees: Fees paid by your conveyancing lawyer on the buyer's behalf to register the ownership of property with the Land Registry.

Land Registry: The official body responsible for recording the ownership of land.

Leasehold: The second current tenure of land recognised by English law. This is over a term of years and not unlimited. There will be a Landlord who owns the freehold a